Sign up for emails and join us on social to get more involved & hear the latest news in Transition.
Find a Local Initiative
Don’t see an Initiative in your area? Fill out an interest form to bring a Transition Initiative to your local area.
Take Action From Anywhere Today
Transition starts with you. Every human on earth is part of the solution. Fortunately, there are some easy things we can adopt into our routines that, if we all do it, will make a big difference.
Take Action From Your Couch
- Stay in the loop by subscribing to our mailing list. We will keep you updated the latest news in Transition and how to take action for a just and safe world, wherever you live.
- Use our map to find a Transition group near you. Get in touch to join their next meeting. Everyone is welcome and everyone is needed. If you can’t find a group in your area, it might be time to start one yourself!
- Browse our resource hub for useful guides and training, from how to have conversations about the climate crisis to effective collaboration and more.
Take Action From Your Home
- Start a garden. Minimize the distance your food travels from where it is grown to your plate. Growing food offers an accessible way to connect with the natural world. Gardens can also be social magnets that get neighbors talking over the fence, connecting families to their communities.
- Eat less meat. Eating as low down the food chain as often as you can is a good way to reduce your carbon footprint and stay healthy. Fill your plate with vegetables, fruits, grains and beans – even better from a local or home garden!
- Minimize your waste stream by recycling paper, plastic, glass, and aluminium. Compost food scraps to reduce climate impact and recycle nutrients. Opt for minimally packaged goods.
- Make your home more energy efficient. Make sure your home has adequate insulation and energy-saving windows, and consider using a programmable thermostat for more efficient heating and cooling and energy-saving light bulbs for more efficient lighting.
- For more tips and ideas, check out the Transition Streets Handbook.
Take Action In Your Community
- Walk, bike, carpool or use public transportation whenever possible. Combine errands to make fewer trips. Participate in, or start, car-free days in your community.
- Think twice before shopping. Consider attending a Repair Café to fix broken items. If you need something, shop local. Supporting neighbourhood businesses keeps people employed and helps prevent trucks from driving far distances.
- Use your voice and your vote. Ask your local and national authorities to engage in initiatives that don’t harm people or the planet. Take advantage of your right to elect the leaders in your country and local community.
Take Action At Work
- Make sure your company uses energy efficient heating and cooling technology.
- Mentor young people. It’s a thoughtful, inspiring and a powerful way to guide someone towards a better future.
- Raise your voice against any type of discrimination in your office. Everyone is equal regardless of their gender, race, sexual orientation, social background and physical abilities.
Take Action With Your Dollar
- Vote with your dollars. Every time you buy at a local business, you tell the world your community is worth more than a big-box store sale. Every time you buy organic, you tell the world you want more farmers to grow healthy, safe food. Every time you buy certified fair trade, you fight poverty. Every time you buy from a business owned by women or people of color, you help build an inclusive economy. Every time you don’t buy something, you tell the world you don’t need more stuff to have a good life.
- Invest locally. Whether that means investing via your local credit union, community bank, community development loan fund, or starting a cooperative, slow money chapter, or crowdfunding campaign, you can help rebuild community wealth.
- Donate! When you donate to an organization that is important to you, you not only help them continue their vital work, but you have an opportunity to show gratitude and feel happy!